Search
  • artlajambe

Life With Eleanor - A Restoration Project of My 1950 Mercury M-68 Pickup Truck


This is Eleanor.


She's a 1950 Mercury M-68 pickup truck, transported in from Saskatchewan. Not by me but another fellow, who I bought her from.


Join me on this journey of not only the discovery of what lies within this wonderful old truck but what I discover about myself along the way.

My name is Art Lajambe. A full time musician, I'm 55 years old and, just to be clear, I've NEVER done any kind of restoration work before. I've only started doing general maintenance on my vehicles in the last 3-4 years.


I've always wanted to own an old truck and an old Mercury was tops on my list. I was able to locate Eleanor in Carlton Place, purchase her on November 14, 2021 and get her transported to her new "forever" home on November 15, 2021.


A few details about this truck:

- 239 Flathead V8 engine


- It's the equivalent of a Ford F3 - Mercury's were made by the Ford Motor Company in Canada

- it's a 3/4 ton

- due to it's low mileage (7705 miles), it's assumed to have been a field truck

- engine is seized but it's a "sitting" seized not a "engine run" seized. BIG difference!


Currently, Eleanor is outside. I have a large garage but we have a swim spa blocking one of the doors. I'm hoping to have the swim spa sold in the new year, which will give me the space to park Eleanor during her restoration.


November 17, 2021

I sprayed a lot of PB Blaster around the spark plugs to eventually get them loose enough to remove. Now, I let the penetrant do it's job. I'll try after Christmas to try and get them out. It's a pretty busy time of year. Not just with all the Christmas season but with all the music I'll be playing.


December 26, 2021

Today I was out to see how Eleanor was doing with the recent snowfall. I finally remembered to check if there was any oil in the pan. I popped the hood and pulled the dipstick. There was about 3 inches of oil on it and, thankfully, it was black. I know that sounds obvious but, if it came out a milky colour, it would mean water had seeped in from somewhere.


December 28, 2021

Suspenseful day today. The removal of the spark plugs!


I was able to remove 4 plugs quite easily but needed a breaker bar and a swivel adaptor to get the other 4 out. Overall, I was very please that they came out as well as they did. I broke only one plug but, luckily, it was near the top of the plug. Once they were out, I added diesel fuel into each spark plug hole and replaced the plugs finger tight.


The waiting game starts again. I'll probably let everything sit for at least the next 3-4 weeks and see if the diesel fuel has loosened things up enough so that the pistons may move.




10 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All